Christina in 3 words: Passionate, Advocate, Resilient
“You may not control all the events that happened to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them”- Maya Angelou
Christina Coelho is a Bilingual Licensed Master Social Worker in the state of CT specializing in client centered work utilizing solution/focused and family systems modalities with children, adolescents, and adults. She received her master’s degree from UConn with a concentration in individual, group, and family therapy. Christina has worked in the human services field and varying psychiatric settings since 2011, including a residential treatment facility for traumatized, Autistic, genetic, and intellectually disabled children and in-home settings working with acute psychiatric children, adolescents, and families. In addition, she has worked in a therapeutic alternative school as a social worker with ages k-12th grade. Additional roles consist of, working as a therapeutic mentor, a child development specialist at an extended day treatment program, a crisis responder, and a therapist/advocate for victims of domestic violence and worked with dually diagnosed young adults.
Christina is passionate about helping clients identify their core values and motivation for change so they may live a life in line with their authentic integrity. From your first meeting with Christina, she creates a welcoming, safe, and culturally competent environment. To foster her clients healing journey, Christina adopts a blend of trauma- focused and evidence-based interventions and has experience diagnosing and treating: Depression, Anxiety, Mood Disorders, ADHD, behavior disorders, and trauma related disorders. Christina works with a combination of therapeutic interventions such as: CBT, DBT, TF-CBT, Narrative Therapy, and Motivational Interviewing. Christina practices with children, adolescents, adults, couples, and families.
In her free time, Christina enjoys spending time with family and friends, baking/cooking, traveling, and spending time with her dogs and significant other.
- Biopsychosocial evaluations, counseling, and psychotherapy services for children, adolescents, adults, couples, and families
- Mental health assessments, psychoeducation, individual and family therapy .
- Female self-empowerment, support, and skills building for adolescents .
- Expertise in treating mood and anxiety disorders as well as individual, interpersonal relationships, and family system problems.
- Skills building using training in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Trauma- Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and other evidence-based practices .
- Culturally sensitive treatment modalities as she is first generation born in the US from an immigrant family.
- Speaks different languages such as, Greek, Portuguese, Spanish, and conversational in American Sign Language.
- Experience working with LGBTA+ populations.