Steve Merwin, LCSW
Licensed Social Worker
Steve in three words: Supportive, Perceptive, Positive
Steve Merwin, LCSW is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker licensed in Connecticut. He is a graduate of the University of Connecticut School of Social Work, where his studies included a mental health and group work focus.
Steve has worked in the mental health field in a variety of clinical capacities for over 14 years. A certified school social worker, he has worked in schools, extended day treatment programs, and therapeutic community residential programs. He has extensive experience helping pre-teens, teens, young adults and families working to overcome a myriad of challenges. These have included adjustment issues, anxiety, depression, trauma, trouble in school or at work, Autism Spectrum Disorder, family conflict, and others.
Steve believes that healing starts with connection. He adds a personal, caring, and trauma-informed approach to an eclectic blend of elements from Cognitive Behavior Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, mindfulness, solution focused therapy, and motivational interviewing. He is passionate about empowering others to be kinder to themselves, see their own true potential, and create lasting change in their lives.
In his free time, Steve enjoys spending time with his family, watching the Mets, seeing DMB perform at Xfinity Theater (The Meadows), or reading a good book.
Steve offers individual counseling and family counseling focusing on-
- Depressive disorders including bipolar disorders, MDD, and dysthymia.
- Anxiety disorders including generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, phobias
- OCD, trauma related disorders, and substance abuse disorders
- Personality disorders including BPD, avoidant personality disorder, and paranoid personality disorder
- Family conflict, parenting difficulties, and young adult challenges